Nursing Home Compare datasets
These are the official datasets used on the Medicare.gov Nursing Home Compare Website provided by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. These data allow you to compare the quality of care at every Medicare and Medicaid-certified nursing home in the country, including over 15,000 nationwide.
- Click on the blue buttons to download the datasets in Microsoft Access and Zipped comma-separated values (CSV) format (see Downloading data), or
- Click on the list of individual datasets at the bottom of the page to view and explore data in a browser (see Explore & view data for more information).
- Filter the list of official datasets by category.
We have made 3 significant improvements to the Five Star Nursing Home Quality Rating System:
- Incorporated the 2 nursing home quality measures for antipsychotic use into the Quality Measure Rating.
- Increased the number of points necessary to earn a Quality Measure Star Rating of 2 or more stars.
- Changed the scoring method for the Staffing star rating. Nursing homes must earn a 4-star rating on either the RN or total Staffing rating to achieve an overall Staffing rating of 4-stars.
Many nursing homes will see a lower quality measure rating as a result of these changes, even though the underlying QM data may not have changed. Because of these changes, it is not appropriate to compare a facility's QM ratings that appear in February with those that appeared in earlier months.